Given the many side effects, allergies, and sometimes, adverse after effects of the conventional forms of medicine used in the world today, people are often on the lookout for alternative forms of healing. With this aim in mind, doctors, healers, and physicians are exploring healing methods that are non-chemical or surgery-based such as natural therapies and Ayurveda, crystal healing, bioenergetic healing, meditation, Shiatsu, and many others. Many of these methods have their basis in the ancient therapeutic techniques of the world and Polarity Therapy is one such modality.
What is Polarity Therapy?
Polarity therapy is an amalgamation of Eastern and Western philosophies for healing without the need for medications, surgery, and other invasive methods. It borrows ideas from the healing techniques of the traditional methods of the world that believed in the importance of harmony between a person’s mind, body, and soul to achieve balance and wellness. The healing philosophy believes that any ailments and illnesses in the body are a result of the deep-seated thoughts, emotions, experiences, and other buried, unexpressed feelings.
During a polarity therapy session, the healer aims to realign the life energy in the patient so that the unresolved issues are dealt with. Once the patient comes to terms with the hidden problems, all the pain, health issues, and imbalances are repaired. Different cultures across the globe had their own terms for expressing “life energy” and developed their beliefs in its importance independent of each other. Traditional Chinese Medicine talks about “qi”, Ayurveda: “prana,” Hebrews: “ruach,” and Christians: Spiritus Sanctus.
Every one of them expressed the fact that illnesses, pain, and stress are a result of the blockages in the free flow of life energy and if these blockages can be removed, it is possible to heal the body. Polarity therapy aims at treating the patient so that pain is removed, the mind is free and clear, and the body gets back its wellness by functioning properly. The therapy also believes that the body has the intelligence to heal itself with the proper stimulation.
To achieve the objective of complete health and wellness of the body, mind, and soul, polarity therapy includes optimum exercising, nutritious diets, bodywork with touch therapy, and counseling on the appropriate lifestyle changes to undertake.
History of Polarity Therapy
Polarity therapy is the result of the efforts of Dr. Randolph Stone, doctor of Chiropractics, Naturopathy, and Osteopathy. He conducted research over 60 years on the traditional healing practices and folk medicine of the Chinese, Indians, Hermetic techniques of the Mediterranean people, and many others. Dr. Stone created a blend of the modalities with his training in natural therapy, physiology, and anatomy. He also integrated his knowledge of the nervous system, structure of the human anatomy, muscular network, and cerebrospinal fluid system. The culmination of his efforts is Polarity Therapy. In the year 1984, The American Polarity Therapy Association (APTA) was established with the objective of spreading awareness for the work and teachings of Dr. Randolph Stone. Polarity Practitioners looking for certification must register with the APTA.
To sum up the theology created by Dr. Randolph Stone, “Health is not merely of the body. It is the natural expression of the body, mind and soul when they are in rhythm with the One Life. True health is the harmony of life within us, consisting of peace of mind, happiness and well-being. It is not merely a question of physical fitness, but is rather a result of the soul finding free expression through the mind and body of the individual.”
How Polarity Therapy Works
Polarity therapy encourages you to take control of all the negativity in your life that is causing health issues and turn it around so your body can heal. During a session, the therapist opens a dialog with you so you can explore your feelings and attitude towards wellness. You will be asked to search out answers to questions such as:
- How is my illness connected to my life situations?
- How can I resolve the issues and free my thoughts so I can free my body from illnesses?
- Am I ready to bring positive energy into my life?
- Am I willing to let the negative energy limit my life?
As you find the answers, you’ll develop self-awareness and learn to let go of the emotions and feelings that are the root cause of your ailments. To further help you heal, the therapist will recommend the right diet, workout programs, and other lifestyle changes you need to make. Polarity therapy teaches you to take control of your own wellness. It must be remembered that the therapy does not diagnose or treat illnesses. You only learn to recover the lost balance in your life and regain deep inner peace. In addition to helping you let go of the stress, the modality also acts as a preventive measure so you can maintain good health.
How Polarity Therapy is Given
Polarity therapy includes different methods.
- The session begins with sincere communication with your therapist who is trained to ask the questions that help you explore yourself and find the answers to your problems.
- You will be asked to lay down fully clothed on a massage table. However, no relaxing touches or pressure with oils and lotions are used. Instead, the therapist places his hands on your head, feet, hands, or body for a while with the intention to balance the energies. You might also notice gentle rocking designed to induce deep relaxation.
- The healer may choose to continue to communicate with you if needed. Each session is different and the therapist may conduct it according to the individual needs of the patient. You can ask to stop at any time and come back whenever you’re ready.
- At the end of the session, you will be given the recommended diets that can help you along with a series of light exercises. You might also be asked to make changes in your day-to-day living habits.
The length of the treatment, number of sessions, and time taken per session is designed around the needs of the patient. You might find that a single session is enough to heal you or you might find the need to come back for subsequent sessions over weeks or months. Rest assured that any private information that you share with your therapist will be kept completely confidential.
Benefits of Polarity Therapy
You can hope to get many benefits from your polarity therapy session such as:
- Migraines and stress headaches
- Depression and anxiety
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome
- Back pain
Research Conducted into the Efficacy of Polarity Therapy
Several studies have been conducted to test the efficacy of polarity therapy. Here’s what researchers found.
- A study was carried out on a group of 45 women with breast cancer who were undergoing chemotherapy and radiation treatments. It was found that the patients recovered better with lower effects of the fatigue that typically arises from the cancer treatments.
- A group of 38 patients suffering from anxiety, sleep disorders, quality of life, and depression was given sessions of polarity therapy. They showed a significant reduction in their stress levels.
Polarity Therapy is a healing modality that can prove to be highly effective in helping people regain or maintain good health and wellness. Given without using any kind of invasive measures and only including communication, healthy diet, light workout regimens, and lifestyle counseling, therapists can help patients resolve their emotional issues that are eventually linked to the ailments and illnesses they have. Both mental and physical issues can be helped with polarity therapy.
“What is Polarity Therapy?” American Polarity Therapy Association. n.d. Web. 23 Dec. 2016.
Gilchrist, Roger. MA, RPP, RCST® “Polarity Therapy: A Comprehensive System In The Energy-Based Healing Arts.” Wellness Institute. 1993. Web. 23 Dec. 2016.
“Polarity Therapy.” The Free Dictionary by Farlex. n.d. Web. 24 Dec. 2016.
“The Benefits of Polarity Therapy and Energy Balancing.” Very Well. n.d. Web. 24 Dec. 2016.
Mustian, Karen M., PhD, MPH, Roscoe, Joseph A., PhD, et al. “Polarity Therapy for Cancer-Related Fatigue in Patients With Breast Cancer Receiving Radiation Therapy: A Randomized Controlled Pilot Study.” National Center for Biotechnology Information. 7 Mar. 2011. Web. 24 Dec. 2016.
“Polarity Therapy.” IONS Institute of Ionic Studies. n.d. Web. 24 Dec. 2016.